Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Healthy Pancakes

These pancakes are AMAZING!  They are whole wheat, sugar-free, and easy to make.   They don’t have a weird “healthfood” taste or texture.  And my kids love them!  (So do I.)  I’ve made these twice just in the last week, and am really enjoying giving my picky eaters a super healthy breakfast that makes them happy.  Pancakes also make a great toddler snack!  These are sweet enough that my 2-year-old does not require syrup on top - so she can eat these with her hands. 

Make a batch and let me know what you think!  You’ll need:

3 eggs
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ¼ cup milk (reconstituted powdered milk works fine)
2 tablespoons honey
½ cup apple juice (or more)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
 Edited to add:  Blueberries or mini chocolate chips are fun to add, too!

Beat eggs lightly with a fork.  Add oil, milk, honey, and ½ cup apple juice; mix well.  Stir in dry ingredients until lumps are gone.  You can add a bit more apple juice if the batter seems too thick.  Spray griddle or frying pan with non-stick spray (for the first batch only).  I don’t have a griddle so I just use my largest frying pan and cook three pancakes at a time over medium-high heat.  I think it’s handy to use a ¼ cup measure to scoop the batter for each pancake.  This recipe makes about 20 pancakes.  Store extras in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.  Yum!

4 comments:

  1. You can swap out the oil for applesauce and make them even healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try substituting applesauce for the oil! In your experience does that tend to make them more crumbly?

      Delete
    2. I just saw this 10 months later, haha! I have never had any problems subbing with applesauce.

      Delete